21/10/2014 | Environment

What is the difference between airborne noise and structural noise or noise from impact?

Airborne noise is the name given to noise transmitted mainly through the air. It is generally due to inadequate acoustic insulation between two premises (such as a bar and a home), or because at the point of emission, the sound level is much higher than it should be (e.g. using discotheque loudspeakers on premises not designed for that). Can you hear your neighbour’s music or television in your home? Or the voices in the bar downstairs? Or the traffic in the street? If so, your problem is airborne noise.


Noise from impacts is noise that is transmitted structurally. When one object strikes another, a vibration is produced. If the vibration is transmitted to the building structure, it is capable of travelling through it (incidentally, much more quickly and further than when airborne). Where it is received, the vibration generates noise and, moreover, it is usually very common for the receiver to be a considerable distance from the source of the noise (an elevator room poorly moored to the structure of the building may cause noise nuisance up to 4 or 5 floors below the housing). To make matters worse, the only way of sorting out a problem of noise from impacts is to prevent the vibration from reaching the structure. Unfortunately, it is most common to suffer from both types of noise at the same time.


If you have any doubts about your case, do not hesitate to get in touch with us to see if we can help.


We hope that this series of FAQs has served for you to begin to confront that “invisible enemy” which is noise.