Revision and maintenance of all types of lifting equipment and their safety components, used daily by million of persons (for example, elevators) is essential in order to guarantee the users’ security. The capacity of self-drive mobile cranes in the handling of loads in constantly on the increase, as are the possibilities for their use, so that the safety of their operators must be secured, as is the case with tower cranes.
Thus it is not only necessary to carry out upkeep revisions but also for periodic inspections to be implemented by a control body, to assure the good state and operation of the apparatus, as well as its safety conditions.
Eurocontrol can perform the periodic inspections of your lifting equipment according to the requisites which are set out in the related Royal Decrees, among others stability trials, revision of safety devices and clearances, visual inspection and adjustment to the standards.
Royal Decree No. 88/2013 of 8 February approved AEM 1 Complementary Technical Instruction “Elevators” from the Regulations on lifting and restraining apparatus, and defined Official Periodic Inspection according to the following terms:
- Every 2 years: Apparatus installed in industrial buildings and places where the Public is present.
- Every 4 years: Apparatus installed in buildings of more than twenty homes or with more than four stops, including that for entry.
- Every 6 years: Other installations.
In addition, elevators must be inspected in the following circumstances:
- The maintenance is assigned to someone else
- Following an accident which causes damage to persons or property, and when decided by the body with jurisdiction in the Regional Government in the application of its legal attributions.
SELF-DRIVE MOBILE CRANES
Royal Decree No. 837/2003 of 27 June establishes the periodic inspections for self-drive mobile cranes, as indicated in ITCMIE-AEM-4 of the Lifting and Restraining Apparatus Regulations:
- Cranes up to six years old as from the date of the EC declaration of conformity or that for manufacture set out in the upgrade, every 3 years.
- Cranes between six and ten years old as from the date of the EC declaration of conformity or that for manufacture set out in the upgrade, every 2 years.
- Cranes more than ten years old as from the date of the EC declaration of conformity or that for manufacture set out in the upgrade, annual.
An upgrade is carried out on cranes which have no “CE” marking (not manufactured in accordance with Royal Decree No. 1435/1992).
TOWER CRANES FOR WORKS OR OTHER APPLICATIONS
Royal Decree No. 836/2003 of 27 June which approved a new Complementary Technical Instruction, «MIE-AEM-2», of the Lifting and Restraining Apparatus Regulations and referring to tower cranes for works or other applications establishes the following Official Inspections:
- Startup Inspection
- Official Periodic Inspection: Every 2 years or it the Crane changes location
- Extraordinary Inspection