Shipping Inspection

Customised solutions for each craft

CE marking of recreational craft


Applicable to craft that have been placed on the Community market after 16 June 1998 and for newly-built models. CE marking of craft comprises three aspects: Design and Construction, Exhaust Emissions and Noise Emissions. The last two are addressed in the relevant section because of their specific nature.

Short legal description
The craft security requirements that must be observed during their construction are regulated by the Royal Decree 2127/2004 (Official State Bulletin of 30 October 2004) pursuant to Directive 94/25/EC, as amended by Directive 2003/44/EC. (See REGULATIONS section)
Certification process
Certification begins with a formal request from the shipyard, the importer or the individual owner. An application form is available in the DOWNLOADS section.
The craft or component must be tested by the EUROCONTROL inspector. Recreational craft have to undergo dry inspections (to assess the structure and hull) and float tests (mainly stability, manoeuvrability and noise). After measurement and testing, in most cases the assessment has to be completed with calculations at the head office.
At present, any recreational craft must be certified to conform to the Directive before it can be marketed or commissioned within the European Community. When registering craft imported from third countries (USA, Argentina, Turkey, .. including Switzerland and Gibraltar, among others), even if it is for your own use, please remember that it must be CE marked.
According to the instructions of the Directorate-General for Merchant Shipping, you must go to a naval engineering firm to obtain a technical report detailing the craft’s specifications, which must explicitly state the degree of compliance with each and every one of the points set out in Directive 94/25/EC (The DOWNLOADS section provides information about naval engineering firms, and guidelines for producing the technical report). Then you must go to a Notified Body, which will verify the accuracy of the craft’s documentation submitted to it and issue an EC Certificate of Conformity.
In this case, the owner or the person responsible for importing and commissioning the craft is deemed the shipbuilder for the purposes derived from the implementation of the Directive, and is assigned a code (known as CIN) for this particular unit. The Directorate-General for Merchant Shipping keeps a record of these codes. If you have any queries about these formalities, do not hesitate to contact us.
Personal Watercraft (PWC)
In the case of personal watercraft, the three types of certification are always necessary. For noise testing and exhaust certification, see the appropriate section.
N.B. EUROCONTROL may apply trade discounts when assessing several personal watercraft at the same time, but the certification processes (and tests) must be performed for each one.
EC Tariffs
Please see the RATES section for the reference prices that EUROCONTROL applies to conformity assessments. Bear in mind that under no circumstances can any discounts offered from time to time be combined with one another.

We organize internal and external inspector training courses (see TRAINING section)